Dawn over the Wharf by Poppy Balser
11 x 14 in.
Awarded Seascape Honorable Mention in the Oil Painters of America 29th National Juried Exhibition of Traditional Oils
Poppy Balser is a Canadian painter who works in oils and watercolours.
Poppy Balser grew up on the shores of the Bay of Fundy. Her portrayal of the coastline has a deep foundation in much time spent outside, observing the interation of tide, weather and light. Balser says:
“I feel tremendously fortunate to live where I do. I am surrounded by wild landscapes and I live within walking distance of the ocean. I go outside to paint as often as possible to observe the natural landscape closely. With my plein air sketches for reference I make larger, more deliberate works in the studio.
When I find a scene that fills me with a sense of wonder, my goal is to paint it to capture and share with others that sense of delight and beauty, to bring indoors the atmosphere and light of my outdoor coastal landscape.”
Recent Honours and events
• Best Watercolor, PleinAir Salon, June 2020
• Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition of Traditional Oils, RS Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX, May 12- June 13 2020
• The Forgotten Coast en Plein Air, Apalachicola, FL, March 19-29 2019
• Best in Show, Bermuda Plein Air Festival, November 2019
• Best Watercolor, PleinAir Salon Competition Oct/Nov 2019
• Best Watercolor, PleinAir Salon Competition Aug/Sept 2019
• Best in Show, Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival, June 2019
• NOAPS Best of America Small Painting National Exhibition, RS Hanna Gallery,
Fredericksburg, TX, March 1 to April 6 2018
• Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Juried Exhibition of Traditional Oils, McBride Gallery, Annapolis, MD, Oct 28-Nov 25.
• Second Place, Art on the Avenue, Paint Annapolis
• People’s Choice, Paint the Bay, Paint Annapolis