Contemporary Figurative Art > Artists have always enjoyed the challenge of looking afresh at their models — of capturing them in a special outfit that strikes a different visual or emotional note. Today we survey artworks showing people in clothing we don’t see every day.
Figurative Art: 11 Paintings of People in Interesting Clothing
BY MATTHIAS ANDERSON
contributing writer to Fine Art Connoisseur
Dressing up in costumes is an intrinsic part of the human experience. Most of us recently celebrated Halloween, and now it’s time to survey artworks showing people in clothing we don’t see every day. Some are wearing historical garments, others fantastical get-ups or their Sunday best, and still others “business” garb — be they belly dancers, beekeepers, or soldiers.
Artists have always enjoyed the challenge of looking afresh at their models — of capturing them in a special outfit that strikes a different visual or emotional note. Please enjoy this portfolio of recent creations of figurative art, and perhaps even consider having your own portrait painted, drawn, or sculpted wearing something distinctive.
1. “Siena Palio XIII (Nicchio/Scallop)” by Yvonne Melchers
2. “Fall of a Dream” by Edson Campos
3. “Steam Pun-dit” by Kate Lackman
4. Ballerinas in Figurative Art: “The Slipper” by Robert Evans
5. “Burang Princess” by Alexandra Manukyan
6. “Ksikkaapaiaiksi — White Weasels, Blackfoot” by Krystii Melaine
7. Contemporary Realism Figurative Art: “Let’s Play Dead” by Christina Ramos
8. “Buffalo Soldier — Fort Concho” by William A. Suys, Jr.
9. “Scottish Guard” by Jill Stefani Wagner
10. “The Beekeeper” by Jean Weiner
11. Representational Figurative Art: “Aquarius, 2011” by Fred Wessel
Browse more articles featuring figurative art, portraits, and more here.
> Sign up to receive Fine Art Today, our free weekly e-newsletter
> Click here to subscribe to Fine Art Connoisseur magazine, so you never miss an issue